Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Walk, Walk, Walk; Don't Talk to Me Mrs. Potts

Day two of every road trip is always the toughest. The car has lost its luster; the hotel beds are mussed; the bags are mixed with dirty clothes. The trick is to find your rhythm and to focus on what you are trying to get out of the trip.

The morning starts off with a happy squeal from Luke at 6:18am EST and a walk with Mom around Asheville. This is a really pretty town. The downtown area is all locally owned stores and restaurants, and there is art work every where. We pass a statue of a pig, a piglet, and two turkeys on our walk. I am not sure what they are all about, but they were pretty cool for Luke.

Breakfast at the hotel before waking Erin up (technically for the second time- she is a really good for putting up with the early rising of two noisy women and a baby) is followed by a visit to Brad's. I stay at the hotel with Luke to blog and nap, while Erin walks Mom to Brad's house which is a two block moderate cup hill climb (no wonder he got here so quickly the night before because it was all down hill).

They pick up Brad and proceed to walk her to The Green LIfe Grocery for latte's and fresh fruit. Yes, this is the same establishment that Erin worked out during her stint in Asheville. Oh, yes, did I mention it was another four blocks away from the hotel? After coffee, Mom , Erin and Brad begin their now eight or nine block return to the hotel since Brad and Erin both had strong opinions on which street to cross and which was the more scenic route. They finally return and we decide on where to go for lunch. Luke meanwhile is entertaining himself with the baby in the mirror under the desk in the hotel room.

For lunch we head to 12 bones; it's the place President Obama ate at when he visited Asheville. On the way to the restaurant, things get a little stressful regarding one person's driving abilities, and I tell the story of how Mrs Potts talks to Mom at night. That's right. On a regular basis, Mrs. Potts says, "Chip, time to get into the closet. Allie... allie... ox and free." Brad and Erin look at me like I am crazy telling this story. I then explain how Mom has a Mrs. Potts doll inside of her window seat and that the doll, for some unknown reason, goes off in the middle of the night. Even though it works on a sensor a no one is moving. OK. Maybe it isn't a great story, but it got everyone laughing, and that was what is important. Mom says, "I tell her.. 'Don't talk to me Mrs. Potts.'" She's a riot.

12 Bones is really good. Barbecue that you stand on-line for because they only make so much every day and when they run out that is it. I order a pulled pork sandwich, greens, and mac and cheese; Mom a plate of ribs, greens, and jalapeno grits; Erin pulled pork plate, cornbread, cucumber salad, and greens; Brad pulled pork sandwich, baked beans, and cucumber salad. I ate everything plus one of Mom's ribs. Brad and Erin said they couldn't finish everything because they had too much coffee and not enough breakfast before coming. Erin drank a 4 shot espresso.

After lunch, Luke, Erin and I head back to the hotel for a little downtime and a nap. Mom and Brad head out to shop. Brad walks her all over town. They go to his place, a museum, target (where they sell wine at the checkout), a shoe store, and all of this was to take her to some place where they could sit down and chat.

Mom heads back to the hotel and Erin and I disregard her protests that she is walked out and we take her back out for a snack because I am already hungry. We walk and Mom says, "I thought we were going somewhere close." Erin says, "We're going right there." Mom says, "Right there is next to the hotel; we are walking down blocks." The place is cute, and we sit out on the patio. Mom watches a man pull a car into a parking lot, take the license plate off the car and then put it on another car which immediately drives away. We aren't sure what she say, but it might have been illegal. Luke enjoys being outside on the patio and loves sucking on carrot sticks. I pick up the last carrot stick on the plate and eat it before realizing that I may have just eaten Luke's carrot. Oh well, that's what Moms do I guess.

We meet Brad at the hotel for dinner t 5:30pm at The Admiral- a 4 star restaurant in a low end building. The place is dark and really cool. It reminds me of a darker version of Marche, and I immediately think John should open his own place. Maybe we have to move to Asheville... Before I start looking for house, Luke begins to fade, and Mom and I cut out early and head to the hotel. Brad and Erin follow later and bring us our dinner to go. Mom and I split the polenta (delicious); Brad has the steak; Erin has the diver scallops.

I get Luke into a bath, and he is asleep (for the second night in a row) at 8pm without any issue. Mom and I wind down and prepare for the early morning start to Charleston, WV.

This trip is not what you would call a restful one if your idea of rest is sleeping in, spa treatments, or long dinners with fabulous conversations, which is pretty much everyone's definition of relaxing. This trip is an opportunity. An opportunity to spend time with two women I love outside of our normal stomping grounds, which allows us to focus on each other instead of our day-to-day tasks. It's an opportunity to learn more about people I think I know, but I know that I could know them better. It's an opportunity I am really glad that I have and that I have taken.

Day three... Here we come!

1 comment: